Friday, 30 September 2011

I'm under arrest...

For putting shirtless cops on a diaper!  A BABY'S diaper!

But how could I not?  Look at how hilarious....

Thursday, 29 September 2011

Sergers, fabric and diapers, oh my!

Earlier this week I got a REALLY awesome package in the mail... a used serger from my friend Dot in BC!  She shipped it all the way out here for me just because she knew I would make good use of it.  So generous... thanks Dot!  Now I just have to figure out how to use it... I've heard sergers are scary tricky, so I'm hoping it isn't too intimidating. 

I am really thankful for the serger because now I can start making all my own inserts.  Until I get started on my own serged inserts for the diapers I think I'll have to sell my diapers with purchased inserts, because the inserts are really important for maximum absorbency.  I plan to order absorbent bamboo velour, fleece and microfibre to construst layers of fabric for a soft and high-performance insert.  Now that I have a serger I'll be able to whip up a lot of them in no time (if the learning curve isn't too steep!) and they will be very durable for lots of washes with the strong serged edges. 

Now that I've got that out of the way, please enjoy this diaper made with some of the sweet fabric Dot sent me with the serger:

Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Old-lady chic

There are so many 'vintage' prints out there these days.  I found this one when I first started out making diapers, and I'm sorry to say that I wasted most of it on a couple crappy diapers (pun intended! ha! ... ha!) I made while I was still figuring most of this out.  I found some scraps of this fabric left over yesterday, and now that my pattern is in two parts, I was able to get enough together to make another diaper.

Enjoy the old-lady chicness of this one. <3


I'm going to post the diapers I made today in 2 posts.... easier that way!

Yesterday I altered my pattern so that I can cut my fabric in two parts.  Previously the diapers I made that had illustrations on them would be upside-down from the front of the baby and right-side-up from the back.  I wanted the illustrations to be facing right-side-up from either side, so I made it so that I would have to cut the fabric twice. 

Nice couple of gnomes sitting on some mushrooms...

Tuesday, 27 September 2011

A girlish one and a boyish one.

I've had the opportunity to take advantage of Fabricland's 50% off sale (cue angelic singing) and I had a wonderful afternoon spent at Len's Mill, so I've got a couple more diapers to show off as a result of my shopping spree! 

These ones are waterproof, in case you're wondering.

These photos of the skulls diaper don't do it justice.  Crappy lighting! I need to figure out my camera.

Bum view

Saturday, 24 September 2011


I decided to bite the bullet and give waterproof diapers a try.  As you know, the diapers I've been making so far have been 'fitted' diapers, which really just means 'not waterproof but really cute nonetheless'.  A lot of work-at-home-mom diaper companies have tried sewing fitted diapers with a hidden layer of waterproof fabric and not a lot have been successful.  The fabric tends to be really difficult to work with and even the tiniest hole will cause leakage, so no pinning fabric allowed. 

I decided to take on the challenge anyway because the more cute fabric I pick out and the better my sewing gets I feel like it's such a ripoff that these diapers will have to be covered up with something waterproof in the end.

My mom picked up some PUL (polyurethane laminate) fabric awhile ago so I cut a bunch of it out and sewed diapers out of my regular pattern, but with the PUL sewn inside. 

I'm pleased with the results.  PUL wasn't as difficult to work with as I figured it would be (I discovered a sneaky way to pin in without causing leaks) and the diapers look exactly like my regular fitteds on the outside.

Bum view.